The foundation of your building functions as the backbone of the entire structure. It promotes strength, stability, and longevity. When you have a well-built, strong foundation, your building lasts longer and provides a safer living environment. Nevertheless, the most impactful culprit of foundation damage is water. Whether a block or poured concrete foundation, water will still find its way causing devastation.
So, you require contacting the waterproofing contractors Queens to fix any foundation water damage to restrict its expansion and severity. Often, the basement constitutes the foundation of a building, and so a wet and leaky basement is also highly threatening to your building’s structural health.
Several factors like geographic location, climate, seasonal changes, soil conditions, and drainage systems are responsible for causing water issues affecting a building’s foundation. Even a tiny leak on the wall demands the immediate attention of a waterproofing specialist contractor. A weakened foundation implies a structurally unstable construction.
Foundation Water Damage: Know the Signs
The waterproofing contractors Queens, implement multiple exterior and interior waterproofing techniques to protect your home or office from the adverse effects of moisture infiltration. From specialized water-resistant membranes to paints and sealants, there are no unturned stones for water damage prevention.
But unfortunately, foundations and basements are immensely susceptible to water damage resulting from various sources. This complex segment of construction requires fool-proof basement waterproofing services to tackle extensive water issues.
So, how do you know your basement or foundation has a waterproofing failure? Or when do you need to hire a foundation waterproofing contractor?
- Dampness- The walls and floors of your foundation and basement must be clean and dry. Any damp patch on the wall or pooling water on the floor implies significant moisture seepage through weak spots and crevices. Wet basements and foundations are extensively detrimental to a building’s structural integrity.
- Discoloration- Brick and concrete are porous. Hence, groundwater gets easily absorbed by such surfaces resulting in efflorescence. As moisture escapes, mineral deposits on the surface lead to white chalky patches. Building waterproofing contractorscan effectively treat efflorescence with lasting results.
- Cracks- A common problem with most foundations is cracking. Owing to multiple factors, cracks of various sizes are hazardous when left untreated. Hydrostatic pressure, rainwater, and temperature fluctuations lead to persistent expansion-contraction cycles, finally forming cracks. They are significant water passage openings.
- Musty Smell- Lack of ventilation in a moist place releases a pungent smell. You may have often noticed it in the basement, especially during monsoons. It develops unhealthy living conditions.
- Mold and Mildew-If you have brown or black blotches on your foundation wall, it means there is mold and mildew growth. These are responsible for various health issues like breathing problems, lung disorders, etc. Call the waterproofing contractors Queens promptly to get rid of such infestations.
Foundation Water Damage Remediation by Professionals
Addressing water problems at the early stage helps in easy and less-invasive fixing. Thus the sooner you avail of basement waterproofing services, the lesser the expenses.
Remediation performed by the experts involves the following steps:
- Detect the Source- Identifying the source of water infiltration is extremely important to determine the exact solution. It is possible only after getting rid of the water. Once water is pumped out, the site is thoroughly examined for leaks, cracks, and damaged spots. Often excavation is performed to expose the underground external surface and look for significant water seepage sources.
- Remove Damaged Materials- The building waterproofing contractorsclean the site by getting rid of the damaged materials to achieve an unimpaired surface for work. It allows better visibility, adhesion, and precise results.
- Patch Cracks- If there are cracks on the foundation or basement walls, a patchwork is needed to seal them. It is done by filling in the cracks with mortar mix. Also, for mold and mildew infestation, sanitization is of utmost necessity to restrict its widespread. Sometimes, patchwork is not recommended for longer and deeper cracks. Replacing the damaged surface is the preferred choice.
- Apply Waterproof Coat-Finally, a waterproof coat is applied on the surface to resist water seepage and prevent corrosion. It is effective in sealing the porous surfaces of brick and concrete.
- External Waterproof Membrane-A basement waterproofing specialist applies a polyurethane liquid membrane on the external walls of the foundation. It acts as a waterproof barrier which is flexible and impervious.
However, apart from external and internal waterproofing, it is essential to have a properly functioning sump pump and drainage system to avoid pooling water. You must always consult an expert for foundation waterproofing to enjoy optimal benefits.